[spending_header graphic]



Health Insurance

Dental Insurance

Vision Insurance

Sick Leave


Life and Accidental

Spending Accounts

Employee Assistance


Shelters and Savings


Site Contents

Reimbursement Accounts - Dependent And Health Care

Dependent and health care spending accounts allow eligible employees to use pre-tax money to pay for eligible health care expenses and/or eligible dependent day care expenses. Contributions to either or both accounts can begin the first of the month after your completed enrollment is turned in to the Employee Benefits Department. You must re-enroll in the spending accounts each year during the Open Enrollment period, even if you do not intend to change your contribution amount(s).

A Dependent Care Reimbursement Account is the only way for employees who do not qualify for a federal income tax credit to use tax-free money to pay eligible dependent care expenses. There is a $5,000 maximum annual contribution limit to this account (for married employees filing jointly).

A Health Care Reimbursement Account is available for the following employee classifications: administrators, managers and supervisors, professional and technical, classified non-affiliated, (DCTA) teachers, and (ABGW) employees in the association of buildings and grounds bargaining unit. This account is the only way to use tax-free money to pay for health care expenses not covered by insurance, such as non-reimbursable or out-of-pocket expenses. There is a $2,500 annual maximum contribution limit to this account.

Special IRS rules apply to both accounts. For example, you must use all the money you set aside in both accounts. You forfeit any remaining funds in either account after the end of the year. Each year, you decide how much you want to contribute to these accounts. Once you begin contributing, you cannot change the amount unless your family status changes (such as marriage, birth, etc.).